Archdiocesan Shrine of St. Francis of Assisi
- Category: Places to see, Things to do
- Published: Friday, 03 July 2020 13:52
- Written by Super User
- Hits: 585
Formerly named as St. Francis of Assisi Parish in Naga, Cebu is the third daughter parish of San Nicolas Parish in Cebu City and has her own daughter parishes namely: Our Lady of the Holy Rosary Parish in Brgy. Tuyan and in Inayagan with same parish name, San Roque Parish in Brgy. Uling and St. Augustine de Hippo Parish in Brgy. Langtad.
Based on history, the church building was constructed after a couple of years from the establishment of St. Francis of Assisi Parish which was completed in 1852 (as engraved on one of the old church bells). construction of the church started in 1839.
The parish was then upgraded as "Archdiocesan Shrine of St. Francis of Assisi", transitus of which was done on October 3, 2007 with the patron saint's statue installed and consecrated on October 10 in that same year. With GOD's blessings, ASSFA has gone transformations owing it to the strong stewardship of the vicars, the faith and benevolence of the Nagahanons who spiritually and materially enhanced Archdiocesan Shrine of St. Francis of Assisi what she is now!
The town’s coral and limestone church was built by Fr. Simon Aguirre in 1839 following plans prepared by Bishop Santos Gomez Marañon. Its bell tower was destroyed by the November 25, 1876 typhoon, repaired, destroyed again in 1942 and rebuilt in 1974 by Msgr. Cesar Alcoseba. On October 3, 2007, the church was upgraded as an archdiocesan shrine.
The church has one main nave, a transept and measures 75 m. long, 15.4 m. wide and 10.6 m. wide. Angels and gargoyles guard its doors. It’s simple interior, relatively unchanged since it was built over a century ago, features a dropped ceiling bearing geometric patterns that has been in place since its last renovation where the complete roof was replaced and a gilded retablo and cornices adorning the Corinthian pillars and side walls. A huge statue of St. Francis of Assisi adorns the patio adjacent to the church.